The best thing about the holidays is being able to catch up and celebrate with friends and family. We’re all so busy that it’s hard to get together, even with good intentions! How many times have you caught yourself saying, “we need to do this more often” and then another whole year passes by?
Our guests travel from across the country and sometimes across the world to be here. When they get into town, I throw my door wide open, fluff my pillows and hope they stay for a long while.
Here are some of my favorite tips to make house guests feel warm and welcome when they’re staying with me:
1. Nothing beats a freshly made bed with soft sheets and warm blankets. Plus a throw and comfy pair of slippers.
2. Plenty of clean guest towels in the bathroom.
3. Stacks of books and magazines.
4. Leave a little note if your schedules part for a while. Just a welcoming message, your wi-fi code and maybe a list of fun things to do while they’re in town.
5. Feed and water your guests! A water carafe for the bedside table. Water bottles for them to grab on the go. Plenty of wine and liquor for evening night caps. Pastries, coffee and juice to get them going in the morning.
6. Inevitably, you forget something or another when you pack for a trip. Leave a basket of toiletries in your guest room just in case. My basket is stocked with toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss, mouthwash, tampons, razors, bar soap, lotion, a sewing kit, cotton swabs, band-aids and make up wipes.
All these little extras will help them feel right at home. I’ll be traveling in Morocco with my daughter over Christmas so we’ll be the guests. But I hope you enjoy your holiday visitors this season – treasure every moment you have with them!